Eastern Technical High School and Western School of Technology and Environmental Science rank among the top 10 high schools in Maryland according to the 2021 Best High Schools list compiled by U.S. News & World Report.
Five BCPS high schools ranked among the top 50 in Maryland. They are Eastern Tech, Western Tech, George Washington Carver Center for Arts and Technology, Hereford High, and Towson High.
The U.S. News rankings include data on nearly 24,000 public high schools in 50 states and the District of Columbia. Rankings are based on college readiness (30%), math and reading proficiency (20%), math and reading performance (20%), underserved student performance (10%), college curriculum breadth (10%), and graduation rate (10%). Factored into the rankings were participation and achievement in Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses, state math and reading assessment scores, and four-year graduation rates.
“We appreciate this recognition of the quality of our high schools,” said BCPS Superintendent Dr. Darryl L. Williams, “but we care even more about the experiences our students and families have in our schools. There are so many ways to measure the quality of a school. Paramount for us is that all our students graduate from all our high schools ready for success in college, careers, and life.”
The BCPS high schools that received rankings on the U.S. News & World report are:
• Eastern Technical High – ranked #3 in Maryland, #132 nationally, #1 in Baltimore metro area
• Western Tech – ranked #7 in Maryland, #332 nationally, #3 in Baltimore metro area
• Carver Center – ranked #16 in Maryland, #721 nationally, #9 in Baltimore metro area
• Hereford High – ranked #26 in Maryland
• Towson High – ranked #50 in Maryland
• Dulaney High – ranked #58 in Maryland
• Pikesville High – ranked #95 in Maryland
• Franklin High – ranked #109 in Maryland
• Catonsville High – ranked #124 in Maryland
• Loch Raven High – ranked #143 in Maryland
• Perry Hall High – ranked #152 in Maryland
• Sparrows Point High – ranked #162 in Maryland
• Chesapeake High – ranked #167 in Maryland