Overlea Rec. Council announced that their soccer program will not be having a season this fall.
“Overlea Soccer will not be having a Fall 2020 Recreational Soccer Program due to COVID 19. Some Rec Councils are still going to attempt to have a season and still play in the EASL League at Eastern Regional Park,” said a statement in an email to parents.
“If you are still interested in playing soccer in the Fall please see the list of Rec Councils in the EASL League. We are not positive that all of the Rec Councils are still attempting to have a Fall Season.”
The Overlea Rec. Council explained that this was going to be tough season with all the COVID regulations. Here is a list of the reason why the reason was made.
1. Liability for lawsuits to the Council, Board members, Program Coordinators, Coaches
2. Expecting Volunteers to keep contact logs of who comes to practice/ wearing masks at games for spectators
3. Parents who have underlying issues feeling forced to sign their child up to play so their child does not miss out playing
4. If season gets canceled – Overlea is not capable of sending out refunds again.
5. If 1 child on the team test Positive – All players would have to be quarantined for 2 weeks and test negative before coming back. (This would be the policy of Overlea Soccer – following CDC best practices)
6. NJCAA – Junior Colleges – Moved Fall Soccer to Spring – No Fall Soccer
7. Multiple College Fall Athletics have been cancelled already – Conferences Canceled – CACC, NJCAA, Patriot League, and MEAC are just a few that affect several colleges in our area.
No official word has been made for all rec. programs in Baltimore County. East Baltco News reported that Youth Football is hoping to hold a season.